Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Twas the night before Lisbon...

and all through the house nobody was sure which way to vote not even a mouse. I am still 50/50 which way to go. I understand what was sent out by the Referendum Commission. I understand that a more streamlined Europe is a beneficial thing.

What worries me is what is in the minutiae. The devil really is in the detail. The European defence agency? I understand Ireland can opt out, but we were not in the Iraq war, but who was coming and going through Shannon airport? Our government has gone against popular opinion before and it will again, sometimes that is justified but in this case it isn't.

I think our major parties chould be embarassed that between them they have struggled to convince their supporters. I think telling people to vote yes for no other reason than " just because" is folly.

I'll sleep on it.

No comments: