Tuesday, February 27, 2007

In memory of running

Back in 2004 I ran my first marathon, with about 6.5 months training I did the Dublin Marathon in 3.59.59. Every second counts! I continued training and in May 2005 I did the Belfast Marathon in a thoroughly bad time of 4.50 something the website is not working at the moment so I can't find the exact time.

Later in 2005, I fell running for a train in Oslo and I badly sprained my ankle.

I wanted to get back training so I went to a physio and have been over 20 times between now and then and the longest I have run since is 12 miles. And in the last 6 months I have not been able to run 1km.

Firstly I was given orthotics to correct my gait, which then threw off my left knee and I have developed patella tendonitus.

I've had patella tendonitus for over 6 months now and I have completely stopped training and have been to the gym rarely to do some upper body work but it's hard to be motivated when you can't run or cycle.

I do every stretch I have been asked to do, every exercise, worn every strap. Nothing seems to help and I have gone from having a slight twinge in my knee after 12 miles to an almost constant pain and an inability to run.

I would like to run another marathon to do one justice but it is lookin more and more unlikely.

No comments: